"Secret Knowlege"

We watched the movie David Hockney's Secret Knowledge, a film on early painters in the 1400s, and how they were able to be very precise and detailed in paintings. Hockney was lead to belive after research that these early painters used a form of camera obscura to paint accurate representations of different things.
I found it extremely interesting to see how paintings from that time were done, whenever I see certain paintings I had always wondered how they had painted with such precision, and it was explained through that video. It was quite interesting to see how technical using the camera obscura was in some cases, making sure that it was focused correctly, so that you didn't end up painting out of focus, etc.
This video really caught my attention, because I loved learning about the camera obscura, and the early forms of photography and art techniques, as stated in a previous blog. The idea of the artists using camera obscura, almost makes it seem like they didn't do much work, and I'm afraid some people might have taken that from the film. I think that although these artists did use this, it does not take away from there talent, paintings from that era were incredible.

No comments: